Friday, June 01, 2012

OF DUST AND LIFE



It was all but an urn with dust in it, 
which I held on to and looked on for hours. 
It probably had some color on it, 
some artists impression from the far east. 
Some imprints probably, a shiny varnish maybe,
 But all I looked at, was the dust inside it. 
Grey, white or brown probably,
 Resembling so much the dirt on the streets 
or maybe the stuff masons worked with 
or perhaps the dirt kids brought home from play 
maybe the remnants from a sandbox
 or the dusting off an ash tray 
I looked on and wondered if I could tell 
Or place the dirt somewhere it may belong....


I looked on the shelf lined with urns 
Standing grim and silent with no answers to give 
All looked the same but with a label on it 
And I wondered if the dust looked the same in them 
Probably the stuff you swept off floors 
Or the dirt from a dry summer storm
The memoirs of a camping fire
 Or shavings from a sculptors desk 
I wondered if I could tell 
Or place the dirt somewhere it may belong


In my heart somehow I knew the truth
 My fingers felt the writing through 
A label with a familiar name 
They probably had told this to me and was I supposed to believe? 
This dust aint my brother I know 
This isn’t the end of life somehow 
Somehow years and years of life 
Memories, voices, deeds and might
 Laughter, people, friendship and strife.. 
Its all dust you say and I wouldn’t believe... 
So I looked on and wondered if I could tell
 Or place the dirt somewhere it may belong.


Tears probably or maybe not 
I tried harder but couldn’t fight the blur 
This ‘dust’ is the truth of human life? 
Of all the years of togetherness 
Of the sibling love, fights and friendship 
Of games we played and laughter shared
You tell me this is all I’ve left... I wouldn’t believe! 
No way .. So I looked on and wondered if I could tell 
Or place the dirt somewhere it may belong.

No comments: